Sunday 9 January 2011

Jeffery Combs Goes Crazy Ape Bonkers With His Resonator And Sex



Stuart Gordon was one of the big name genre directors that was able to land a job on the recent anthology series Master Of Horror, although judging by his 1986 film From Beyond, I'm not sure the description 'master' is deserved. Scientist Jeffery Combs (on brilliant barking form) and his madder colleague Dr Pretorius (Ted Sorel) create a device called the resonator so they can peak into dimensions of reality beyond our own. Things get out of hand causing Pretorius to disappear and Combs to go loopier than usual. The lovely Barabara Crampton, playing a psychologist with cutting edge views, is called in to investigate. Then it gets weird.

I'll give Gordon something; no one makes movies like he does. Gory and grotesque, silly and campy, sexy and provocative, intelligent and thought provoking...From Beyond is all these. I'm not sure whether all these separate elements gel into a 'good' movie...but the performers are spirited and the story never, ever dull. And how come I was never away of Barbara Crampton until now?!? I feel like I have a gap in my teen years now...

1 comment:

Nick aka Puppet Angel said...

Yeah, Barbara Crampton. Horror film catnip to many an 80's teenage boy. :)