Tuesday 13 March 2012

Menaced By The 3D Phantom



I've watch Star Wars Episode I The Phantom Menace many, many times since it's original 1999 release and even reviewed it in this hallowed blog about two and a half years ago (here). Being a huge Star Wars fan there was no way I was going to miss the opportunity to see Episode I on the big screen with its 3D re-release this year. The 3D wasn't important to me (I'm getting weary of this marketing gimmick and it rarely 'improves' the visual impact of the film) but it did allow a rare opportunity to see an impeccably designed fantasy film digitally projected on a screen as big as an AT-AT.

Since my first review of Episode I back in 2009, my opinion of the film has sank tragically into the depths of hell thanks to my nagging doubts being focused and confronted by Redlettermedia's Mr Plinkett, an unsavory character whose feature lengthy Star Wars prequel reviews have become the stuff of Internet legend. Rather than going into detail about the film's many, many faults (including the stiff acting, non-existent characterisation, logic defying plotting, inappropriate political guff, static direction, and far too many shots of characters siting and walking and walking and sitting) you'll be much better informed by going straight to the source and checking out Plinkett for yourselves here.

Still the awfulness of the story and characters can't detract from the fact this is a Star Wars film, plain and simple. That means space battles, a fully realised and ever expanding science fiction universe, immaculately designed landscapes, props, costumes, vehicles and planets, a lush and sweeping John Williams score,some still impressive visual effects, a solid 3D conversion, and space battles. He might not be able to direct actors or conjure a coherent plot but Lucas can still orchestrate action like few others. All the action sequences, particularly the podrace and the final battle of Naboo are all first rate cinema and the Jedi/Sith lightsaber battle still has the ability to have one shouting at the screen for Mr McGregor to laser sword Ray Park's Darth Maul into oblivion.

Great to see again, mainly because it manages to transport me back to the mindset of a seven year old boy, although despite its moments of greatness I have to acknowledge that much of The Phantom Menace is dire shit.

No comments: