Sunday 4 April 2010

I Have Seen The Light (And It's Not A Pretty Sight)



Star Wars - Episode I - The Phantom Menace is hated by many, many people. In 1999 it was the most hotly anticipated film of all time (even by myself) and, upon it's release, disappointed the general cinema going public and hardcore fans alike. While I can recognise the film's flaws, I've never despised the film in the way that others do (just look at Simon Pegg's Spaced to see how it mentally scared geeks.)

Until now perhaps.

The Internet phenomenon of Harry S. Plinkett has been brought to my attention, forever altering my perception of Episode I. If you haven't been fortunate enough to watch his movie reviews on YouTube then allow me to explain. Plinkett is renowned for his 70 minute Episode I review. The review itself is highly detailed and savagely dissects the plot, characters and film-making of the movie. There are things that Plinkett exposes about the construction of Episode I's screenplay that makes you want to slap yourself and exclaim, "why didn't I notice that!" or "yeah man, that's always bothered me too!"

The reviews are made even more entertaining by the fact that the geek reviewer Plinkett is also a fictional character...one whose wives have all been brutally killed in mysterious circumstances and who appears to have terrified hookers chained in his basement.

Both insightful and very, very, funny, Plinkett has also provided 40 minute reviews for the four Star Trek Next Generation movies as well as for Avatar. Today has brought us the long anticipated Attack of the Clones review which stands at an impressive 90 minutes. To give you an idea of where it's going, Plinkett describes Episode II as, "the worst thing made by a human...except the bagpipes." So you can follow the link HERE to check it out or head over to Plinkett's website HERE, to catch the remainder of his stuff.

It'll change your life, man...

1 comment:

Nick aka Puppet Angel said...

Okay, so, in moviemaking and storytelling terms the prequels might be shit, but I still love 'em. It's Star Wars dammit!

These reviews are darn hilarious and, sadly, mostly accurate.