Sunday 5 December 2010

The More You Tighten Your Grip, The More Owls Will Slip Through Your Feathers



Zack Snyder has had the complaint leveled at his movies (mainly 300 and Watchmen) that they're style over substance. Hogwash I say! 300 might not have much to say but it's still a compelling character story of a driven King and Watchmen works politically, socially and psychologically on several levels. But with Zack's latest, The Legend Of The Guardians: The Owls Of Ga'Hoole, I think I might have to side with his detractors. It's one of the best looking animated features I've laid my eyes on; detailed and realistic, beautifully lit and imaginatively designed. But...

The story's a bit so-so and the characters a bit limp. It's basically Star Wars revamped for Owls, complete with a super-weapon designed to obliterate the enemy and it's got The Force too ("Trust your Gizzard Soren!"). Apart from a few exceptions (step forward Hugo Weaving and Helen Mirren) the Aussie voice cast sound a little unenthused and similar, which doesn't help when many of the owls look similar to each other to begin with. There's Snyders trademark freeze frames and camera speed ramp-ups to keep the action fresh and exciting...but it's all a bit too flat and familiar to get too worked up about.

I'm pretty sure I won't be saying that next March when Snyder's Suckerpunch is released; hot chicks fighting giant Samurai, Dragons and Nazi Zepplins with machine guns. Hell, even I won't need substance for that movie.

1 comment: