Sunday 4 January 2009

Cornell Smell Hell



Tis only 4th of January but I may have stumbled across the most hateful tune of 2009.

Chris Cornell's "Scream" as produced by Timbaland. I'm all for estasblished artists trying something new. And contrary to other internet haters, I don't think Cornell has sold out his rock roots. I don't actually dislike the song writing on display here.

But the dire, souless RandB production has stripped the soul and uniquness from Cornell's vocals and replaced it with coma-inducing formulaic blandness in the mix. For the most part, I fucking hate RandB. For something that has its roots in soul...it no longer has soul. Rather a generic, emotionless drone. These days that drone is enhanced by subjecting the vocalist to a Cher-o-matic...a device used to electronically alter the vocals, ensuring any talent the singer once displayed is removed from the recording.

If RandB producers want to carry on the tradition of ass-raping the RandB genre...go ahead. I you guys wanna swim in shit..carry on, cause it aint my pond.

But don't reduce one of the greatest vocalists of our day to passionless anybody with a wanky RandB vampiric producer.

1 comment:

sickboy said...

Tis shit. But he didn't have to sing it.