Wednesday 29 July 2009

If Gollum Could See This Baby!



Warner Brothers Animation have teamed up with DC Comics in recent months to bring fans drawn versions of their favorite superheros, while the live-action versions flounder in development hell. Last month brought Wonder Woman. The same team, this month, bring you a Green Lantern origin story.

Don't get fooled by the fancy packaging...this is no sophisticated adult piece. It's aimed directly at your saturday morning, Ben 10 crowd. Those seeking character development need not apply. However the animation's up to par for a studio produced, TV superhero cartoon these days.

If you're a Green Lantern fan it might be best to wait for the Ryan Reynolds adaptation due in 2011. But if you're like me, and are completely unfamiliar with the alien police recruit with the magic ring, it's a great way to introduce yourself to the mythology. It's far more fantasy and off-world based than I could ever have imagined and the origin (I'm guessing it's faithful to the comicbook) is very reminicant of the Jedi Knight narrative in the Star Wars prequels. For a low-budget animated movie the music score is far too impressive to be used here.

Awaken your inner 7 year old and enjoy.

1 comment:

Nick aka Puppet Angel said...

"Oooohhh...my magic ring is glowing green. I shouldn't have had that radioactive curry last night!"

I managed about ten minutes of this effort but it was just so basic and undemanding that I lost interest and switched it off.

I know the Green Lantern aka Hal Jordan and his backstory from my DC Comics reading days and used to quite like his adventures on Earth and around the universe with the Green Lantern Corps. But this was just too uninspiring - especially when we've had such great animated DC superhero fare like the old Batman: The Animated Series from the ninetees which dared to allow character development and tell fairly dark (for kids tv) stories.

I think I'll just wait until next year for Martin Campbell's live action Green Lantern movie starring good old Ryan Reynolds.