Tuesday 12 January 2010

Big Kok, No Bang...



The thing about Nicholas Cage movies is you never know what you're gonna get. Well, that's not quite true. It might be a great movie (Face/Off) or it might be a crap movie (National Treasure)...but at least you can count on Nicky being entertaining...to chew the scenery or to back his eyes bulge occasionally.
At least I thought so until I saw Bangkok Dangerous. It's a movie about a hitman who, as is required by the genre, takes one final job before retirement.

This is one of the most boring action thrillers I've seen in a while. The plot never ventures outside of familiar territory, the film looks as drab as it plays and the cast seem to be talentless Bangkok hobos. Cage's hitman has rules...that he ends up not following, of course. But his motivations for ballsing up his own life are never convincing, as is his seemingly amateurish skills as an assassin.

Worst of all though, Cage is sedated. Low-key. Sleep-walking. Just when we need him the most. Nicholas, you have betrayed me. Don't do it again, sonny, or I'll be hiring some one to take you out (no, not to Dorking).

1 comment:

sickboy said...

I told you he was a dick.