Tuesday 2 August 2011

Bunny Boiler



Having been duped into watching Hop by the promise of an irreverent performance from Brit comedian Russell Brand as an animated Easter Bunny, it didn’t take me long to realise that I was watching crap. Again. I say again because the little voice in my head keeps telling me that not all talking animal movies have to be diabolical, even though Yogi Bear, Alvin & The Chipmunks, Furry Vengeance, etc, are bad, bad, bad.

Hop is basically the plot to the great Will Ferrell starrer Elf, with the Easter Bunny and candy eggs replacing Santa Claus and presents, except that Elf was sharp, engaging and offbeat. A game James Marsden gets to do the Brendon Fraser thing and talk to the animals while a lively but contractually constrained Russell Brand does his innocent, but spoiled, man child thing once again. The animation from the Despicable Me studio lacks the personality and wit of that break-through flick while the script hardly rises above the mediocre.

Next up The Zookeeper, The Smurfs and Alvin & The Chipmunks 3. When will I ever learn?

No comments: