Monday 8 June 2009

Q: When are Vampires most boring? A: Twilight.



It's rare that a 2 hour movie has so little happen. Mimi Leder's Thick as Thieves managed it...but you don't expect it from a Vampire movie, even one skewed towards romance, not horror. But if there's one major 2008 release that deserves an hour cut out of it, it's Catherine Hardwicke's Twilight.

To give Hardwicke credit, the movie adopts a serious tone (refreshing when depicting teen Vamps) and has a cinematic quality. The (probably) Canadian shot movie's setting looks integral to the plot and characters, instead of the X-Files/Stargate tackiness that usually comes across. In addition the two leads are appealling. Kristen Stewart exhibits strength and vulnerability as Bella in a stand out performance, while Robert Pattinson is suitably moody as Vampire Edward.

But, to quote Vivian from The Young Ones, "Why does it have to be so bloody slow!!!"
I'm all for character development (see my love of Darabont and Shyamalan movies)but why does it take an hour to set up these cardborad non-entities? Why do I need constant adrenaline injections to keep me awake? Why do I have to pay disgruntled Russian miners to puch me in the face to carry on watching.

There are 3 problems;-
1/ The pace (see above).
2/ The Mills & Boon romantic, teen novel tone. There are only so many times I can stand two kids with rediculous crushes look longingly into each others eyes. If there was some character to this limp pair...or even some honest to god humor...I might have survived.
3/ The story is soooo obvious it negates almost the entire movie. We know Edwards a Vampire. We know Bella will fall for him anyway. We know this will be a bad idea forboth their families. Of course we know it's the bad vampires that are doing the local killings. And that those vamps will evantually come after Bella. And I'm betting the American Indian's are werewolves.

But originality isnt always required if it's told in an interesting way.
Which it's not.
I'd rather dangle my cougar-sack in the playpen of a baby werewolf than watch the sequels.

1 comment:

Nick aka Puppet Angel said...

I never thought for a moment you'd like this. I'm a vampire fan and I didn't much like it.

I didn't find it a bad movie - just hugely average. Sure, there are some interesting touches to do with the vamps (daylight walking, sparkly in the sun, driven mad by bloodlust) and the cast are mostly fine, but the whole thing is just rather dull and uninspiring.

I love me vamps....but I like them to be more interesting than this lot and not solely based on teenage lust and angst. For a vampire movie about budding love then Let The Right One In is far superior in every way. Also, season two and three of Buffy covered all of this ground with much greater depth, emotional honesty, heartbreak and some genuine horror. If it's teen/vampire pain and angst you want then it don't get any better than the last half of Buffy season two. The two parter Surprise (2/13) and Innocence (2/14), Passion (2/17) and then the season ender of Becoming parts 1 & 2. Now that's real and intense teen vampire romantic horror for you.

I'll probably get around to watching the sequels at some point - especially Eclipse (movie 3) as David Slade of 30 Days of Night fame is directing. Might be good. You never know...