Tuesday 10 November 2009

Woop Woop, I'm In The Loop!



I've never watch BBC television satirical comedy In The Thick Of It, now in it's third year, but I want to now. I've been a fan of political satire from the early days of Spitting Image and Yes Minister, right through to The Daily Show and Mock The Week. But In The Loop, the spin off movie of In The Thick Of It has just taunted me in the face with what I've been missing recently.

It's an inside look at the inner workings of the highest levels of Government in the UK...and if this is what it's really like ...God help us. Witty, amusing, intelligent, topical, subtle...it's fly on the wall style makes you feel this is only one step away from reality.

Despite the intelectual pedigree of the series (Armandi Iannucchi is the director)the major laughs come from savage Prime Ministerial aid, Peter Capaldi as the visciously profanity spewing troubleshooter. British comedy has a fine tradition of hilarious anti-heroes with a contemp of all other human beings, and Capaldi's Malcolm Tucker is the latest complete git to revere.

I shall now get me some series boxsets to enjoy Capaldi's mother-Tucker some more.

No comments: